You should read this policy before providing us with any personal information or before using our website. By providing us with your personal information or by using the website, you are confirming your agreement to the policies and procedures described in this policy. From time to time it may be necessary for us to review and revise this policy. We reserve the right to change this policy at any time.
Genesis Pregnancy Support as an Organisation
Protecting your privacy is fundamental to the way we care for people.
Your privacy is important to us.
The information we collect and hold
Genesis Pregnancy Support Inc performs many functions and provides a wide range of services and programs. We will only collect personal and sensitive information that is necessary for us to carry out these functions and provide these services and programs. The type of information we may collect, hold and use, varies depending on the purpose for which it is collected but may include the following (amongst others):
Supporters – as a supporter of Genesis Pregnancy Support’s mission and activities, we may need to collect your name and contact details. As a valued financial supporter of our fundraising activities, we may also need to collect your bank account or credit card details. All financial transactions and recording are performed in accordance with the rules, regulations and reporting requirements of the Australian Charities and Not for profit Commission.
Service recipients – program participants or clients of our services - as a recipient of, or participant in, one of our services and programs (such as live-in parenting skills, abortion recovery, material assistance, group support, counselling, social or other services and programs), we may need to collect your name and contact details, information regarding your health, personal and financial circumstances, ethnicity and emergency contact details.
Customers – as a customer in our stores, we may need to collect your name and contact details at the time of purchase.
Personnel – as an officer, employee, volunteer or member of Genesis Pregnancy Support, we may need to collect information about your name and contact details, bank account, superannuation and taxation details, qualifications, previous experience and emergency contact details. A Working With Children Check will be required as a compulsory government requirement for criminal history and child protection information.
How we collect and keep safe your personal and sensitive information
How we collect and store personal and sensitive information varies depending on the purpose for which it is collected. We may collect your personal information:
- Directly from you, either in person, over the phone or by email
- From third parties where you have specifically authorised us to do so
- Through our website including through forms on our website.
We will always collect your personal information directly from you unless it is impracticable to do so. This would usually be done in person, over the telephone or by email. Examples may include:
- Copies of your written correspondence with us
- Copies of receipts and/or transaction records in relation to your financial support of our fundraising activities
- Copies of your application form, request for assistance and/or other associated documents (including documents generated during your participation in a program with, or otherwise during your interactions with us) and information that you may provide to us in relation to one of the services and programs we offer
- Copies of your volunteer agreement or employment agreement and any associated documents and information you provide to us in connection with your volunteering for or employment with Genesis Pregnancy Support Inc.
We may keep copies of the above documents (in physical and/or electronic form, at our election) as is necessary to carry out our functions and provide our services and programs. All personal and sensitive information is securely stored at all times by us and only authorised people will have access to the above documents and information.
Why we collect, hold and use personal and sensitive information
We may collect, hold, use and disclose personal and sensitive information for purposes necessary to carry out our functions and provide our services and programs. Generally, these purposes include:
- To keep in contact with you as a supporter of Genesis Pregnancy Support and to inform you about the role and extent of our work and mission
- To manage our fundraising activities and for taxation record-keeping purposes associated with your donation to Genesis Pregnancy Support.
- To assess your welfare needs and to provide you with the welfare and community services and assistance we offer
- To provide you with the necessary care and assistance during your time as a resident of, or recipient of services from, one of our facilities (such as our central location at Cowandilla or Meliora House residential facility)
- To provide you with the services requested by you from us
- To facilitate and manage your purchase from our store, or donation of goods to our office
- To comply with necessary business and accounting standards
- To comply with our reporting obligations to the Australian Taxation Office and other government agencies and public sector bodies
- To facilitate and manage your employment relationship or volunteer arrangement with Genesis Pregnancy Support Inc.
We are committed to maintaining your privacy and we will only use your personal and sensitive information for a permitted purpose for which we have collected the information.
There is no obligation for you to provide us with any of your personal information however if you choose not to provide us with your personal information, we may not be able to provide you with the services that you require.
You have the option of not identifying yourself or using a pseudonym when dealing with us in relation to a particular matter, unless we believe it is impracticable to do so in the circumstances. If you wish to deal with us in this manner, you must tell us in writing so that we can consider if your request is practicable.
How we may share your information
If necessary to carry out our functions and provide our services and programs, we may need to disclose your personal and sensitive information to external service providers (such as welfare service providers, healthcare service providers, accommodation services and other community service providers, etc.) and other organisations. We will only share your personal and sensitive information in accordance with your express consent and instructions, subject to the exclusions set out in the Australian Privacy Principles, or in accordance with the specific Privacy Notice provided to you by us at or near the time of collection of your personal and sensitive information.
We do not supply our database information to other marketing organisations.
How we use Google Remarketing
We do not collect any individual personal information on visitors to our website without your knowledge. We do collect non-personal information that allows us to log information about visitors to our website for statistical purposes, such as:
- The number of page hits
- The pages accessed or downloaded by session
- The type of browser being used
- The length of time spent on the site and on particular pages
- The device being used (e.g. desktop or mobile)
- The type of mobile device being used (eg. iPhone 4)
What international disclosure do we make
Genesis Pregnancy Support Inc is affiliated with Heartbeat International in Ohio, USA but this relationship does not involve disclosure of any personal information about our clients, supporters, volunteers or workers.
How you can access and seek correction of your personal and sensitive information
You have the right to access your personal and sensitive information, subject to some exceptions allowed by law. If you would like to access or seek correction of your personal and sensitive information, please contact our Privacy Office at the contact details below. For security reasons you will be asked to put your request in writing. To enable us to verify your request we require you to advise the following:
- Your full name
- Contact phone number or email address
- The relevant program or service (if known) that your request relates to
There is no application fee for making a request to access your personal and sensitive information. While we do not normally charge for providing individuals with access to their personal and sensitive information, we reserve the right to charge you for our reasonable costs in complying with a request for access. These costs will not be excessive.
How you can complain about a breach of the Australian Privacy Principles
We are committed to protecting your privacy and upholding the Australian Privacy Principles. If you believe we have breached the Australian Privacy Principles please contact our Privacy Officer with your concerns at the contact details below. We take all complaints very seriously and we will endeavour to respond to your complaint and address your concerns as soon as reasonably practicable.
How we comply with the Notifiable Data Breaches Scheme
We will notify you in the event your personal information is involved in a data breach that is likely to result in serious harm. This notification will include recommendations about the steps you should take in response to the breach. We will also notify The Australian Information Commissioner of eligible data breaches. Each suspected data breach reported to us will be assessed to determine whether it is likely to result in serious harm, and as a result require notification.
How you can contact our Privacy Office
Telephone: 08 8352 4044
10am & 3pm, Monday – Friday.
Refer Policies and Procedures:
1.4a ‘Records Management’
1.4b ‘Document Control and Security’